A signature line in Excel resembles a typical signature placeholder that might appear in a printed document or file. An Excel document having a signature added to it, no edits are permitted to the document without invalidating that signature. This allows you and others to know that a document has been viewed and approved as it stands by the signer. When a signature line is inserted into an Excel file, the author can specify information about the intended signer, and instructions for the signer. When an electronic copy of the file is sent to the intended signer, this person sees the signature line and a notification that their signature is requested. The signer can then do the following:
- Type a signature.
- Write a signature by using the inking feature of a touch-screen PC.
- Select a picture of an inked signature.
Procedure for creating a Signature Line in Excel
1. In the worksheet, place your pointer where you want to create a signature line.
2. On the Insert tab, in the Text group, click the Signature Line list and then click Microsoft Office Signature Line.
3. In the Signature Setup dialog box, type information that will appear beneath the signature line:
- Suggested signer – The signer's full name.
- Suggested signer's title– the signer's title, if any.
- Suggested signer's e-mail address – the signer's e-mail address, if needed.
- Instructions to the signer– Add instructions for the signer, such as "Before signing the document, verify that the content is correct."
4. Select one or both of the following in the checkboxes:
- Allow the signer to add comments in the Sign dialog box – Allow the signer to type a purpose for signing.
- Show sign date in signature line– The date the document was signed will appear with the signature.
- If you want to add additional signature lines, repeat the above steps.
NB: If the document remains unsigned, the Signatures Message Bar appears. One can always Click View Signatures to complete the signature process.
Adding the Signature
Open the Excel document where a signature is to be added. Then open the Sign dialog box by either double-clicking the signature line or by right-clicking it and selecting "Sign."
1. Add your signature. To do this, type your name beside the "X" to add a text signature.
2. Alternatively, click "Select Image" to browse to an image version of your printed signature. If you're using a tablet or other device with a touch screen, you can physically sign beside the "X."
3. Click "Sign" to add the signature.
Just like a normal signature, which is commonly found on official documents, a signature line in excel works the same. When a signature line is inserted into an Excel file, the author can specify information about the intended signer, and instructions for the signer. Traditionally, a signature is used to permanently affix to a document a person's uniquely personal, undeniable self-identification as physical evidence of that person's personal witness and certification of the content of all, or a specified part, of the document.