An Add-in is a file that contains macros. This means that it allows you to extend the functions of Excel applications across various platforms apart from Windows. That is Mac, iPad, and browser. Excel add-ins are mostly stored here C: /Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/AddIns/. Once it is in Microsoft Excel, and Add-in automatically opens itself every time Excel is opened. It is important to remove Excel add-in since permissions granted to them allow unwanted and unlimited access to resources and documents on your desktop. In the event when you don't want an add-in to run in Microsoft Excel, you can disable it or simply delete it.
This article gives you simple steps you can follow to delete an add-in in Excel.
1. Open Microsoft Excel on your desktop. Go to File then click on the Options menu.
2. Determine where the add-in file is saved on your desktop.
3. After you have determined, close Excel.
4. Open the location where the add-in is and delete or rename the add-in.
5. Open Excel once more and check the Add-in.
6. Click on 'Go' to open.
7. Click the add-in you deleted earlier.
8. Click the 'Yes' option to ensure you delete the add-ins permanently from Excel.
The easiest way to permanently remove an add-in is to move the original (".xla") file when Excel is not open.
The next time you open Excel and press (Tools then click on Add-ins) you will be asked if you wish to remove the add-in.
It is important to note that if you want to replace an add-in with a more recent version of it,
all the users will have to either have Excel closed or have closed Excel since they have cleared the check box.
ALTERNATIVELY, you may find it convenient to disable the add-in instead of permanently deleting it. Follow the following simple steps.
1. Open the Excel then click on the File tab.
2. Choose Options.
3. Click the 'Add-in' option then Go.
4. You can also click on the Excel Add-ins buttons on the Developer tab to access your add-ins.
5. Check the option next to the add-in you want to disable then click OK.
This disables the add-in and it will not run the next time you open Microsoft Excel.
When in safe mode, the following process can help you disable Excel add-Ins.
1. Go to the File menu and select options.
2. Choose Add-ins
3. Select COM Add-ins > Go.
4. Check any unwanted plugin then click OK.
5. Finally Restart Microsoft Excel.
You can also manage Excel add-ins in Excel using the following process.
1. Click on File>Options >Add-ins.
2. Select the add-in type.
4. Select the add-ins you want to add, remove, load and upload. You can also browse to locate add-ins to install.
You may also fix disabled add-ins to Excel in case you want them back. Follow the following steps.
1. Open Microsoft Excel.
2. Click on the File tab and then click on Options.
3. On the Excel Options window, select Add-Ins.
4. Go to Manage list then select Disabled Items, and then click Go.
5. Select the check box next to the add-in you want to fix.
6. Click Enable.