Inserting a row is a common operation among excel users. Excel allows users to insert either multiple or single rows. Sometimes, you may decide to insert the empty rows within your sheet to add omitted data. Unfortunately, the excel menu bar does not have a feature that you can use to insert a given row on your sheet. However, various workarounds are used to insert rows in your worksheet. This article will discuss some of the common methods and workarounds used to insert rows.
Using the insert button
The insert button is located on the home tab and can be used to insert rows. To work with this tool, these tools are involved:
1. After opening the worksheet you're working on, select the number of rows you want to insert. Inserting multiple rows on your sheet, you have to select other empty or used cells with the same number of rows you need to insert. For example, we will have to select 50 rows, to insert the other 50 rows in the worksheet.
2. Secondly, click on the Home tab and locate the insert button found in the cells section.
3. Click on the Insert drop-down menu.
4. Select the Insert Sheet Rows.
5. New empty rows with the same number (e.g., 50 rows) will appear on your sheet.
Right-clicking on the selected range
This is one of the simplest methods of inserting rows into your sheet. When using this method, these steps are involved:
1. Open the worksheet that contains your data. Then, highlight the number of rows you want to insert (e.g., 50 rows)
2. Then, right-click on the selected range to open a side-view menu. On the menu displayed, locate the insert button.
3. A dialogue box pops up. On this box, toggle on the Entire row option and click ok to close the dialogue box.
4. Addition cells will be displayed on the sheet you're working on.
Using keyboard shortcuts
Shortcuts are known for their effect on saving time. Many people opt to use shortcuts, as they are easy to learn and remember. In addition, they help in avoiding minimizing workarounds that would be involved in accessing certain features. In inserting multiple rows, shortcuts can be used. Here are the steps to be followed when using the shortcut method:
1. After opening the worksheet you are working on, select the number of rows you want to insert. Inserting multiple rows on your sheet, you have to select other empty or used cells with the same number of rows you need to insert. For example, in our case, we will have to select 50 rows, to insert the other 50 rows in the worksheet.
2. On your keyboard, press CTRL + SHIFT+ PLUS BUTTON.
3. On pressing, an insert dialogue box opens. On this box, click on the Entire Row option. Then click ok to save the changes.
4. That is. Your sheet will be added with new rows.